The first record of an email sent in the world was in 1965 when the exchange of messages between users of mainframe computers took place - those large machines, quite different from the gadgets we have today. Since then, a lot has changed. In 2019, the number of email users reached 3.9 billion worldwide (Statista, 2020); an impressive amount that shows how important this means of communication has become in our lives.
In a corporate environment, sending an email is one of the most common and professional ways to formalize deals. Order requests, purchase confirmations, notices, cancellations, are just a few examples of the use of emails.
It is Marketing that email has shown its greatest strengths. According to Statista, there are more than 292.6 billion messages sent by emails daily – and the number is expected to grow to 347.3 billion by 2022.
Thus, using the email as a marketing tool is no longer a trend but a necessity for any company.
However, your email marketing strategy is just as effective as the email list you use. So, how can you ensure that your company is sending messages to the right people?
Email Verification: what is an email checker?
Any manager who has worked on an email marketing campaign knows that it is a valuable tool within Marketing.
It is no wonder then, that email is a digital marketing channel that has one of the best returns on investment (ROI).
In a study on the effectiveness of email marketing campaigns, DMA found that for every $1 spent on this strategy, US companies gained $42 in return.
To measure this success, several KPIs are used, such as Click Through Rate (CTR), Bounce Rate, and Conversion Rate. However, another equally important, but often overlooked, indicator is directly linked to the quality of the list of your recipients.
An email checker is a tool that analyzes the addresses you have in your contact list. In other words, it ensures that for each recipient on your list, a message will arrive in an inbox.
But why do you need it? For example, several users create email accounts for single purposes and then no longer use them.
Another typical scenario is the departure of professionals from companies and the deactivation of their email account. With these situations, sending an email becomes useless since the recipients will never see the message.
The email checker is a lifesaver in these situations as it checks whether the email address exists, is valid, and is active, thus ensuring that sending an email to that recipient would not be a waste.
The main reason for using this tool is that, in addition to the content and interest that must be considered in sending the campaigns, much of the positive return comes from the rate of receiving messages in the first place.
How an email checker works
The email checker works through email validation. This process goes through the following steps to make sure that the email exists and is currently in use:
1. Verification of syntax: it is common to have typos during the registration of an email - therefore, the tool checks any possible syntax errors such as spaces or invalid characters. The email checker also checks whether the characters, such as @ and periods, are properly typed and in their proper places;.
2. Domain verification: another function of the tool is to check if the registered domains exist, this is because a typo in the domain is also quite common. There are platforms that work with different extensions such as ".com", ".co", ".ca" etc. The checker verifies that the domain name extension is correct, exists and is working to be able to receive the message;
3. Email ping: this is probably the most technical step of the verification performed by the email checker. The program sends a test message to the recipient's email server or host and waits for a response to verify that it is active and in use.
At the end of the process, it will show the results, classifying the emails in categories relevant to your list.
From the results, you can decide what to do with each address: quarantine, remove or keep it in the list.
Reasons to use an email checker
There are several reasons why an email address may no longer work. That is why the email checker uses categories to display its results, so that you know exactly why an email is valid or not.
In addition to technical reasons, such as false addresses or typos, there are some reasons related to the human factor that must be considered.
But what are those reasons?
- The user has changed the email service: this is probably the most common reason. Who has never changed providers cast the first stone. For example, the user may have switched from Yahoo to Gmail simply because he thinks the service is better. The email checker helps you to find out the email address he is currently using;
- The user has changed the address ID: in the same way that the user can change the provider, he can also change his ID. Let's say that previously the address was joao2002@ ... and, now he preferred to change it to something like jpgadelha@ ... It is also the role of the email checker to discover this;
- The user left his previous company or changed jobs: this happens more frequently with B2B companies, but B2C are also affected by it. Often, the user uses his corporate email for all communication. However, if he leaves the company, this email will be useless;
- The domain no longer exists: if the domain website ceases to exist, emails with that address will also not receive any more messages. This is an indication that the company is no longer functioning - and can help you filter out other addresses that use the same domain.
Whatever the reason an address is no longer considered valid, your tool must help you identify the reason so that you can decide what to do with each one.
Advantages of using an email checker
Your email marketing campaigns can bring several benefits to the company. Email allows you to send personalized messages to current customers as well as potential customers.
But to work, you need to ensure that the message gets to them - and the email checker is what will make sure of that.
Here are the reasons why you should use one:
Your base is the main asset of your email marketing campaign. It is usually organized by classes, such as suppliers, customer base, new customers, leads generated by marketing campaigns, internal and external teams, etc.
Regardless of the target group, this list must always be up to date and without errors in the addresses.
Therefore, using an email checker results in guaranteeing the quality of your data. In a world where data is the new oil, you will know you are on the right track if the quality of your base is good.
Bounce is a nightmare in any email marketing campaign. It occurs when there is an error in sending or delivering the message, and it essentially goes back to the sender.
The results of the email checker are quite complete: it informs you if the address is valid, if it does not exist, if it is an "Accept-All" address or if it is a "Role-Based" address etc.
Thus, you can make an informed decision about each one on your list, consequently reducing your bounce rate.
Improvement in campaign results
Your delivery rate is directly linked to the success of your campaigns. Email marketing campaigns depend on several factors, such as layout, text, content, calls to action, amongst others. Although, the quality of the mailing list is fundamental for any of these others to work.
For this, the tool performs the verification of addresses and points out which may be out of the standards.
For B2B companies, for example, it is possible to identify whether a buyer within the client company is no longer an employee so that you can identify a new quality contact and cultivate the relationship between organizations.
More financial return
For a campaign to be successful and have the expected ROI, your email marketing must go through a few steps:
(1) it must reach the recipient and not be recognized as spam;
(2) the recipient must find the subject exciting and click to open the message;
(3) the content of the message should prompt the recipient to take action;
(4) the recipient must click on the link in the email, completing the indicated action.
No matter how good the copy or call-to-action is, there is no point in any of it if the recipient does not receive the message or if there is not a real person associated with the email address.
More assertive mailing means more significant success in campaigns, increased sales, and financial return.
Optimizing your KPIs
Good KPIs are the foundation for good decision making. The indicators show what you are doing right in an email marketing campaign and what needs to change.
When you ensure that your base addresses are valid and active with an email checker, you know that all actions taken by recipients are legitimate. In other words, your email marketing KPIs will show accurate and real data on how your audience behaves - again, improving the overall results of your campaign.
Minimizing the chances of being "blacklisted"
You definitely don't want your sending address or domain to end up on a blacklist.
To be blacklisted means that your messages will be blocked entirely by the email server and will not reach any recipients.
By updating your mailing and ensuring that the data has quality, you minimize the risks of being "blacklisted".
Start using the best email checker right now!
No matter how small the costs of running an email marketing campaign, you want to ensure that every penny spent is worth it, right?
For this, you can count on the best tool on the market: TheChecker validates and classifies the addresses of your list. Do you want to guarantee the best ROI for your campaigns and cultivate a great relationship with your base? Try for free and get started today!