Sending an email campaign on the right day and at the right time is as important as the content of the email.
Your customers will receive numerous emails throughout the week, so if you send yours at the wrong time, you risk yours never getting read.
There is no one size fits all solution. While a tactic may work successfully for one brand, it may well have limited results for another. During our research, we have found studies that contradict each other. However, every single one has highlighted the importance of sending your email at the right time.
The best day and time to send an email
Being realistic, you should experiment for yourself on what the best time is for your mailing list. As you know, every kind of audience has different needs and preferences. Thus, you cannot merely replicate what you find online and expect it to work.
Nonetheless, you must have an informed start. We at TheChecker, are armed with the right information so you can have a head-start, which you can tweak according to your own needs if necessary.
Below is a guideline on finding the best time to sending an email.
What the research shows about choosing the best day of the week
GetResponse did a study and it showed that Tuesday had the highest open rates and click-through rates. What is interesting to see is that this is one of the most popular days to send emails by companies.
On the other hand, weekends were the least popular to send emails. This is because Saturday and Sunday have the lowest open rates.
In addition, HubSpot’s report has highlighted similar results. The report has concluded that days such as Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday have the highest email open rates.
So, what is the best day to send an email?
In order to send a successful campaign, you have to prioritize your days accordingly. Here is how you should do it:
- Tuesday: This is without a doubt, the best day to send your campaign. Our research shows that this day has the highest open rate.
- Wednesday: If you are a fan of sending more than one email per week, we recommend that you test out this day and study the results. This day has worked out for some companies but not for others.
- Thursday: This day is the second best as the open rates are not the highest but still acceptable.
The most essential tip to get from this is that if you want high open rates, you should focus on weekdays rather than weekends.
This makes sense as people are more likely to open emails on workdays as they are more likely to check emails on their commute or lunch breaks.
Your customers are less likely to open your campaign during the weekends as they are taking a break from work and inboxes. Now that we know the day, let us see which time works well.
What is the best time?
A MailChimp report has highlighted that the optimal send time is 10 am in the recipients’ own time zone.
Similarly, HubSpot has highlighted a similar time - 11 am. This is where you tweak it according to your needs.
If you want to see higher click rates, you should consider scheduling emails between the early evening and the morning. MailerMailer has suggested that:
- The first half of the year – The highest click rates have been in the morning as the emails have been sent at 12 am
- The second half of the year – The highest click rates have been around 6 pm as the emails have been sent during working hours
So, what is the best time to send an email?
Analyzing the data available, we have come up with the following:
- 10 am – Late morning send times have been the most popular. Numerous reports have highlighted that the best time for your business is to send an email at either 10 or 11 am
- 8 pm – People are likely to check their emails before going to bed at around 10 pm to 11 pm. Thus, this is a good time to send your campaign in order to get more open rates and click-through rates
- 2 pm – Many people are likely to check their social media and emails during their lunch breaks or if they are looking for distractions. Thus, you should test it out and analyze the data
- 6 am – You should schedule your email to be sent early in the morning as people will check their emails before getting out of bed or during breakfast
You have to remember the time zones. If you have customers from different places in the world yet the majority are from the US, we recommend that you send the emails according to the majority that is dominating your list.
This is why it is essential that you have a clear indication of how many email addresses are validated in your list. Email checker should be prioritized in your to-do list when it comes to a successful business. If you do not check your email list, you have no idea where the majority of people are from. Therefore, you can send your campaign at the completely wrong time.
How to Discover the Best Time to Send an email to Your List
You do not have to wake up at 2 am to send your campaign, even if the data shows that that is the best time to send an email to your list. There are numerous tools online that will schedule your email to be sent at a particular time of the day or night. The only thing that you have to remember is to schedule it during the weekdays. Our recommendation would be on Tuesday at 10 am.
The average open rates are around 22.87%, of course, this depends on your industry. If you want to improve your particular open rates, you have to test it out. However, it is essential that you test one variable at a time to avoid ending up in the Spam folder.
You should begin by gathering information about your subscribers. You should ask questions such as:
- What are their jobs?
- How would their day-to-day life look like?
- When are your subscribers likely to look at your content?
There is never going to be one time where all (or even half) your subscribers are going to open and engage with an email. The main idea is to estimate a time and day to send your email with the goal that most of your subscribers are more likely to engage with it. Hence, you should avoid experimenting blindly with the sole purpose of working with what others have said.
Analyze each piece of information you receive from your subscribers as much as possible. If you do it properly, it will be a clear indication to go further and discover the best time to send an email. Let us know what you think!